Before health or recipes, let’s talk about history. We already know that tea comes from Asia and got imported first in England, created at the same time the famous black tea.
What about the iced tea? Actually, as a lot of inventions, it’s a matter of context and chance. In 1904, in the United States, the Saint Louis fair state was unexpectedly warm and people was desperately looking for refreshments. A tea seller decided to add ice cubes to his tea… It was the first “iced tea”. The new drink had a huge success and become famous in a few years.
When you speak about iced tea, a lot of people think it lost all the qualities of the drink, qualities we saw in the articles “let’s talk about tea” but let’s be clear, it’s not true. Obviously, some of the qualities are going to be diminished by the cooling process but we will that is not that bad.
The main component of tea is called theine. An active molecule similar as caffeine for coffee (we won’t be more precise here about the difference between those 2 molecules). But this molecule, as the caffeine, is not good for everybody. If you have heart or blood pressure issues, it’s better to drink less theine and iced tea contains a smaller amount.
Also, for diet, iced tea will help you to burn fat faster than hot tea. First, thanks to a natural reaction of your body. When you drink cold drink, your body will react to the cold by warming up the body and with the summer coming, you will be sweating. Then, the purifying benefits of tea are still effective in iced tea.
Two good reasons to drink iced tea for summer, now we only need to know how to prepare it!
The best way to do it!
- Put water in a teapot with one tablespoon of your favorite tea
- Let infuse during 1 to 2 hours depending on the type of tea and your taste.
- Filtered. Let it rest in the fridge for 2 hours. Enjoy!
- Drink your iced tea in the next 24h.
You don’t have time? Or you are too impatient to wait? Chilled it!
- Prepare a cup or more of hot tea.
- Chilled it: it means pour your hot tea directly on ice. Be careful, our advice is to use a little more tea than usual.
- Once again, enjoy!
You want something even more refreshing for a suffocating day?
- Put our cold infusion with a little bit of sugar in the freezer.
- Wait for it to start freezing. (Time will depend on your freezer)
- Then, use a fork to mix it and obtain your granite.
- It’s ready.
Finally, drink tea is always a matter of taste. Drink it hot if you are cold, drink it iced if you are hot... Choose your way to drink tea and just enjoy.
Hope you enjoyed this article about tea and leave a comment or a like and share with your friends! Have an healthy day with TAKU Cookware!
Please visit our shop and discover all our handmade cast iron teapots!